Automatic Key pad Lock when on a call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by joleneyates, Mar 29, 2011.

1. joleneyates macrumors newbie

:(:(Hi
    My phone doesnt lock when Im on a call so I always hit buttons or mute the call while Im on it? I got the Phone off a friend and apparently it didnt happen before.
    I also Reset the phone and put on my own music ect on it would this have affected it?

Thanks

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Since you don't say what kind of phone you have, I can only assume that you are using two tin cans and a string. If you have an iPhone, it would be nice to know which one, and what software version it is running. The proximity sensor is causing your problems, but that was fixed on certain phones with a software upgrade. Soo, without guessing, or more info from you, it is impossible to know if it is software or hardware.

3. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

I assumed because the phone was under the Iphone tips help ...sorry. anyway as far as I know its the iphone 3g. how do i tell what soft ware it is using? -ametuer iphone user

4. JamesMB, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If it is a 3G, it didn't have the proximity sensor glitch, that the iPhone 4 had. That pretty much tells me it is a hardware issue.

Edit: You say that you reset the phone...Which reset did you do. If you haven't, I would connect to iTunes, and Restore As New, and set up as a new phone. I really don't think that will fix it, but it is worth a shot.

5. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

Do you have screen protector over it or a skin? I made the mistake and put a skin over it with out punching out the sensor part. lol took me a whole week to figure it out.

6. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so should I take the phone into a store or will I be able to do it?
    I do have a cover over it, but did check without the cover on also. sadly it still doesnt lock even with my hand covering the entire top of the phone

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I edited my post above...Try the Restore As New, first.

8. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

I done a "erase all content and settings" How would I do a reset to new?

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That should be OK. If you did that, you don't need to do a Restore. I'm pretty sure that it is a hardware issue, especially since you reset all content and settings.

10. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

Meaning I have stuffed it??:(

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I don't think it was anything that you did. It might have been acting up and the previous owner didn't notice it.
    BTW, if you ever need to check you firmware/software version, go to settings>general>about, and scroll down to version.

12. uwetodd macrumors member

I can't remember how the 3G software was set up, but the option to lock the iP4 is under settings>general>auto lock. Then change to 1 or 2 minutes.

I'd also recommend initiating "password lock".

13. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm OK I brought off a friend who says it has never done it before, It is "Modem Firmware 05.14.02" does this mean anything

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The OP isn't talking about that lock...:rolleyes:

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

This baseband means there isn't any unlock method available for it yet. The phone can only use with AT&T network.

16. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yes it does, but that isn't the version...You are looking for "version", modem firmware is at the bottom.

17. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

OO I see it is Version 4.1 (8b117)- sorry again I am not so up with technology just want the damn thing not to hang up on people while im talking to them :) or talk without holding the phone horizontal

18. uwetodd macrumors member

sorry. rookie mistake :eek:

Umm... a little excessive?! I mistakenly thought the OP was talking about something else. Relax and chill with the ego.

19. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah, I know what you mean...You could upgrade it to 4.2, but I still don't think that is gonna fix your problem.

20. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused::confused:

21. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

OK to be an even bigger pain in the ass..how can I do this..

22. uwetodd macrumors member

Look what you did Crystal! JamesMB is gonna send you a degrading PM so be ready.

23. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

LOL...Connect to iTunes, select your device in the left pane, and click check for updates.

24. joleneyates thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanx for that I will try tonight while at home

25. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

OK...Good luck..