Automatic listing of most used files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paulsenglish, Oct 5, 2010.

1. paulsenglish macrumors newbie

Hi again

To more easily deal with the increasing number of regular document files I have, I'm wondering if the standard 'Finder', or any other software that is available, can be set up to load the most frequently used, say top 50, files into a folder where it would automatically update. This would preferably be an icon in the dock, if not a main folder in Finder.

I know the system can order folders and files according to 'last modified', but that still leaves me to search all folders. One way to do it, I guess, would be to destroy all folders then it may order them as I want, but it seems a bit drastic. To find older files, I guess I would just have to rely on 'spotlight' or search.

If anyone can see a clearer path, please let me know.

Thanks

Paul:)

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried creating a smart folder? Could use limiters of last opened or modified within a certain time frame, etc.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In Terminal:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'
    killall Dock
    This will create a Stack in the Dock for Recent Applications, and you can then right click on it to change it to Recent Items. However, it's not customizable, it's always 10 items. A Smart Folder would be the best if you need more control.

jW