Automatic Log-Off Keys?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MACaryatid, Dec 17, 2008.

1. MACaryatid macrumors newbie

I'm a new MAC user and as I was working on Excel this happened...

(a) first I noticed I couldn't enter data, so I kept on pressing esc and delete (a habit I picked up from being a WIN user)
    (b) I was automatically logged off - - I was prompted to key in my login name and password

What did I just do? What just happened? I checked my security settings to see if I had set it to automatic logoff - -nope, it was disabled...

Battery Power was about 2:45

Any feedback would be appreciated

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you click on the Apple Menu in the upper left hand corner and scroll down to the bottom at "Log off User" you will notice next to it that "shift-command-q" will log you off. That option will prompt you, however, while having the Apple Menu open, push down the Option key and you will notice that some of the commands next to the selections will change (About this Mac changes to System Profiler) and the Log Off User shows the option symbol next to it (squiggley line thing with a dot above it).

Using the Option key with keyboard shortcuts (or selecting menu items) will sometimes change its function and otherwise typically "forces" the command (such as emptying the trash). You must have hit "shift-option-command-q" and forced a log out. (or possibly some other variant thereof that does the same function that I am not aware of using the delete or escape keys)

As a side note, using control-option-command-eject will "force" the (proper) shutdown command without prompting the user (add the fn or function key to that command with laptop/wireless aluminum Apple keyboards).