Automatic login doesn't work

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Mackist, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Mackist macrumors member

Most of the time it does.
    When it doesn't, it can happen after merely waking the computer from overnight sleep, though it has happened after full restart as well.
    I thought it was caused by waking the Macbook Air with mouse, but it can happen when I just use the power button.
    I of course have automatic login selected in preferences.
    Neither turning off guest account nor trashing /library/preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist has helped.
    I am told the latter should have turned off the autologin, but it didn't. So perhaps there's another plist to delete?

Thank you,
    M

2. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Look into System Preferences: Security & Privacy: General: Require password ... .

3. Mackist thread starter macrumors member

Good thinking. Unfortunately, require password on wakeup/screensaver has also never been checked.
    And if it had been, one imagines the password would be required every time, as opposed to randomly once in a while, as is the case now.

4. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

As you can set the interval pf when the password is required, it might not be asked every time you wake the computer.

Maybe create a new user and experiment in that to see if the same problem occurs there too. Otherwise I am out if ideas, not that I have that many.

5. Mackist thread starter macrumors member

Will just have to file it away with the other billion incredibly-stupid/evil-features-of-apple-products.
    Keep on Mackin!

6. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Okay, I just wanted to tell you the reason for it. But it seems you are not interested anymore.

Good bye!

7. EdwardSmith36 macrumors regular

One should give positive response to all those who are trying to help you.

8. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Exactly! And that's why I will never see a post of that user again unless I click on that button (what I won't do):

Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-20 um 10.34.38.png