Automatic Lyric Insertion?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clete2, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I'm looking for a good iTunes lyric insertion program. I know that Gracenote's CDDB was supposed to add this feature, but if it's out there, it isn't implemented into iTunes. Is there a program for Windows that can insert lyrics into iTunes? I really do not want to spend a week trying to add lyrics to my songs.

Edit: I have modified the iTunesLyrics source code so that it will not put in "Not found" if the lyrics for a song were not found. The new iTunesLyrics is attached. It was released via GPL v2. Check the README for copyright information.

For me, it was a pain that things like "Instrumental music; no lyrics" and "Not found" were annoying, so I fixed it. :D

Attached Files:

2. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I use a program called EvilLyrics at http://www.evillabs.sk/evillyrics/ . I suspect that others will chime in with better ones, but it found lyrics for much of my music.

3. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

4. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I had no idea there were programs to do this.

this is awesome!

5. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I used to have a widget that would automatically find and add the lyrics to whatever song you listen to, but I can't remember the name of it :(

6. Wailord macrumors 6502

PearLyrics?

7. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Nope, that's not it.

8. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Nice app.. at least it saves me one step. Can it insert lyrics into the song?

9. macaco74 macrumors regular

I had not realized this type of app existed either...I am excited about giving this a try at home.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

11. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

GimmeSomeTune is awesome, but you have to play each song to get the lyrics/artwork. It gets the info in a second or two on most songs, which is awesome, but to get the info for thousands of songs is going to take awhile.

Is there any way to speed up the process?

12. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

iArt

is what I am currently using for windows. You can try before you buy and is very easy to use. You do not need to play each song for it to work and it is recommended to do your search by playlist. Once that list is done then move to another. In this way you get the lyrics for all of your favorites before it starts working the remaining songs in your library.

http://www.ipodsoft.com/site/pmwiki.php?n=iart.Homepage

Once you have used up the trial version...it is a measly $10.00 to keep you library updated.

This is the best I have found that fits what you are looking for.

Good Luck

So far I have just updated 2000 songs in less then 10 minutes and it could not find the lyrics for 6 of those songs.

13. bmh16 macrumors regular

AlbumArtThingy is superb. Much better than any widgets and gets far more lyrics than tht widget and gets as much as i would expect it to. Does a great job!

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

PearLyrics used to work absolute wonders for my music library. Before it was buried by the MPAA (or something), and a little after it resurfaced via shady sites, it kept finding and putting into my music the correct lyrics every time. I probably have about 2000 songs with lyrics thanks to listening on shuffle and PearLyrics. Up until about a year ago.

Now I don't think it works at all. It shows the lyrics that you already have in the song, but won't find any new ones for you.

Btw. 500th post. Yay!

15. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Theres a script called "NeedleDrop" which does just that.. it lets you choose a pre-determined amount of time (5, 10 seconds) to play a song and then switch to the next.. I think its on Dougs AppleScripts site.

16. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Awesome, absolutely awesome. Thanks a lot.

17. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

The iArt plugin looks great. I wish it was free, though. I don't want to spend $10 on it. I hope that someone can find a free alternative. :)

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

You can get about 250 songs or 20 albums done free before you have to buy it. I had 4000 songs to get done so it was worth it for me. It will not find lyrics (obviously) for artists like Vangelis, Native American music and 90% of Sound Tracks which is all music anyway. I ended up with about 500 songs out of 4000 that it could not find lyrics for including songs that don't have lyrics. I have to manually search for about 150 now and do the old copy and paste.

Now that I own it, i can update it using my newly purchase playlist and never have to do the whole library again and I did not have to play one sec of any song to find the lyric. It took about 23 minutes to scan the 4000+ songs and post the lyrics to them.

19. cueballbil macrumors newbie

20. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

I was told by a friend that lyrics take up exponential space.. is that true?

21. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

I was told by a friend that lyrics take up an exponential amount space.. is that true?

22. bmh16 macrumors regular

He is wrong. lyrics are just a small bit of text and don't take up much at all.

One Mb of lyrics disk space taken for about the same in Gb in music.

23. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Obviously, I know how much space text takes up. I was just unsure of how he came up with that and how it could be true.

24. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Simple, to the point. Seems to work very well. It's currently updating all of my songs. :D

25. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

I had a gripe with iLyrics, so I modified the source to suit my needs.

I hate it when it decides that "Not found" is a valid result to write to your lyrics tab. Whenever I pull up some songs that don't have lyrics, I don't want the artwork graying out and a little "Not found" lyric box popping up. It isn't helpful.

Here is what I did (easy code mod):
    Got the source VIA subversion from Google Code.
    Edited LyricsUpdater.cs after the line:
    "org.lyricwiki.LyricsResult result = m_lyricsWiki.getSong(artist, song);"
    (no quotes) and I added:
    Code:
    if (result.lyrics == "Not found") // We don't want those stupid lyrics! :)
    {
         result.lyrics = "";
    }
    This could be easily modified to work for any lyrics that say "Instrumental" or something.. Just test for <= 30 characters.

I am not sure what the license is, so if you want the new binary, PM me. I have class now but I'll probably test for less than 30 characters later.