Automatic mounting of SMB servers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDAVE, Feb 13, 2009.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have a 24/7 SMB server (RAID6) that I use for media serving via gigabit.

How can I auto mount this server without doing a CMD+K everytime from finder?

I want them to automatically mount upon login under OSX and show up under "Devices" right under the hard drives.

Right now the way it works is, I mount it manually (6 partitions) and it shows up on my desktop. However it does not show up under devices. What I can do is individually drag and drop these mounted drives to the devices area so other applications can easily see it.

Thanks in advance

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Put that 'server' in your login items ... system pref>User account> highlight the acct>Login tab>Add from there..

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks, I did that...however it still doesn't show up under "devices" so I have to manually drag and drop it on every launch.

Is there script out there that would let me login as well as add it to the device list upon launch automatically?

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I'm currently doing this with XP drives for the past year plus...

Once my mac reboots the xp drives automatically appear..

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I understand that, auto login worked...however I was also asking if it's possible to have them show up under devices (Without doing each drive manually one by one) such as in the picture here:

Attached Files:

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

What about writing a LaunchAgent to do the mounting you need? That's what I'd do... but then again I'm a bash script kinda guy, so I don't always know if there's a GUI way to do something. :D

7. ae3265 macrumors member

Take a look at "BonJour Mounter"

http://osx.iusethis.com/app/bonjourmounter

Dunno if it'll set up the devices, but it is very handy for auto-mounting AFP/CIFS/SMB/FTP/WebDAV on login, plus you don't get the Finder window opening automatically, it just mounts and you're ready to go.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you very much. I was wondering how to do this when I stumbled across this thread.

Thanks again.

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Each time I log-in: the external drive - ( log-in xp drive) it'll show as 'shared' but to get the drive show as 'devices' need to connected via USB or Firewire connection...

I don't know if Raid6 system work under Firewire nor USB... :eek:

Well my time on here is finally worth-something.. ;) :cool: