Automatic moving of off-screen folder windows...MAKE IT STOP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Teej guy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

When dragging a file into a folder window which is partially off the bottom of the screen, OS X will slide it up so that the whole thing is in view. I can't tell you how many times I've dragged something into the wrong folder because suddenly there's a different folder underneath my cursor.

Is there any way to turn this off? It does not suit my workflow at all.

2. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to think so, but there could be some internal switch somewhere...

5. howellz macrumors newbie

Almost four years have passed and the only response was one suggesting that there's probably not a solution? Odds are the writer has already found the solution by now, but for those who found their way here looking for an antidote this is an easy problem to remedy. Trying to describe a problem like this is what makes it difficult to search for a fix, but the writer did a good job of describing it; it's the ultra-annoying spectacle of having a window play a cat-and-mouse game with the files you're attempting to drag into it. To put an end to this madness, simply go to the Finder Preferences and under the General settings DESELECT "Spring-loaded folders and windows." While you're in there, if you also happen to dislike the idea of folders not opening in their own windows (I hated that), now might be a good time to SELECT "Always open folders in a new window," but this isn't necessary to solve the first problem. Restart your computer and you should be good to go. And you'll no longer lay awake at night tormented by visions of skittering windows.

6. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda