Automatic Music Downloads glitch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Travisimo, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I have a CDMA iPhone 4 running iOS 5 beta 2. I have Automatic Music Downloads enabled in the Store. I purchased a couple of albums from iTunes on my Mac and then automatically showed up on my phone moments later (yay). That's cool. However, the next time my phone performed a sync to iTunes, it copied those same two albums to my phone again, and so now I have duplicates of both albums! I do not have the "Purchased" playlist checked to sync in iTunes, so I don't know why it copied them over again?

Has anybody else run into this problem? Is there a fix? Automatic music downloads is nice, but not when I get duplicates of everything I purchase!

EDIT: Even if I uncheck "Sync Music" in iTunes while my phone is connected and re-sync, those purchased albums are still on my phone TWICE.

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

That's an iOS 5 bug. The only fix is to switch automatic music downloading off on your iPhone.

3. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay thanks. Do you know if the bug has been reported? I have a dev account and will report it if there isn't already a bug report ID for it.

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I haven't reported it, but even if it has already been reported, it doesn't hurt to report it twice.

5. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done. Bug ID# 9693997

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Why not make it (at least) three and let Apple know it's important?

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I was just thinking that myself after thinking how retarded what I said was. :p

Reported.

8. AML225 macrumors regular

I had the same problem, my solution was to delete the songs from my iTunes library on my computer, then let my iPhone sync them back to my computer. Now when I sync I don't get duplicates. For some reason iTunes sees items auto downloaded on your phone and items downloaded through iTunes on your computer as different files.

EDIT- I should also add deleting the duplicates directly on the phone did not work, the next sync would still result in duplicates.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Too funny! My comment was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek but looking back at it, it seems kind of bitchy. Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intented to be.

10. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what happens the next time you make a purchase? You have to go through all that again? For now, I just checked the "Manually manage music and videos" box and deleted the duplicates right from iTunes. I haven't purchased anything since doing this though, so I'm not sure what's going to happen next! ;-)