automatic opening of browser

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knew2mack, Jul 26, 2011.

1. knew2mack macrumors regular

knew2mack

Hey everyone, happy Monday....

It's definitely been one of those Monday's that I'll be recovering from for a while....
    Jumped in pool with phone in my bathing suit - yep, bound to happen but couldn't possibly be more horrible time...

ok, I have set this up already, but forgotten how to UN-do or RE-do... When I am on a site like Craigslist and there's a link to reply, when I click on it, it's supposed to go to my mail default....right??

I have never been able to figure out how to use a computer's default mail system, whether it's outlook or mail (here on the Mac)....meaning, for outgoing pop & incoming sttp (I know that's all written wrong) but I have usually just copied/pasted the link into my yahoo or gmail.

Now, for some reason, when I click on that link, Chrome opens automatically (YES, I realize it's something I set up), opening Yahoo, Gmail and facebook. No 'mail' opening at all!!!!!! SO I'm trying to figure out how to make this change....set it up so when I click, it opens up my yahoo mail.....

Can someone please explain how to do this in a clear, NON-tech sort of way??? Also, for mail (mac's mail) maybe someone could help me to understand how to go about setting that up as well.....

I've begun needing to use Craigslist, lately, and it's just so time consuming copy/pasting, then deleting all of the extra stuff that comes thru on a copy/paste route.

I'm sure there are several of you laughing to yrselves at my pure ignorance - seems there's just never enough time, being care-giver (24/7), trying to run our lil biz (candles....not distributing them, but actually making them and figuring out how to set up sites, with my limited technical skillzzzzz.....With that said - I cannot express enough how much I have appreciated everyone's help thru the past few years....I've definitely learned a lot from many of you - thanks so much!!!

This one should be an easy one for ya'll....I really gotta get in to take some damn classes....hmmm, maybe there are podcasts or something, some way for me to learn the basics - when I first got this, I didn't even know what 'browser' 'operating system' - as well many more simple terms....so again, thank you all!!

Have a great week!
    Dawn

Oh, I will definitely be bugging many of you again - getting ready to buy Snow Leopard.....looking forward to the new stuff, while everyone else is playing & enjoying Lion, I'll be a happy camper going from Leopard to Snow Leopard....so keep an eye out for me!! ; )
    peace n light

2. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

yes, I realize that it's now Tuesday ---- I originally wrote this yesterday but was unable to post.

thanks for yr help
    dawn

3. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I used to do the same thing :)

Would you like to set up your email to work correctly so you no longer have to copy/paste links from craigslist into your web email? Because if so, now that Mail works with gmail and automagically sets it all up all you need to know is your login information and Mail will do the rest.

4. unixperience macrumors regular

Well I don't believe your email reply problem is safari related. or whatever browser you use.

Open up mail, go to preferences, and the first thing says "Default email reader" im guessing thats where you made the change, so just change that to whatever you want now.

You could try using mail, it works well i suppose. If you have yahoo though, it won't work, because yahoo charges you to forward mail to another account. But if you have gmail for instance, its really seamless. I dont use it frequently, i typically do what you do, but sometimes its nice to have it set up already so when i do click a link i can just send email anyway