Automatic Power Management Software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattb79, Aug 31, 2010.

1. mattb79 macrumors member

Are there any programs for OS X that let you set an automatic power profile when unplugged from the charger?

Is there nothing that automatically sets the screen to a certain brightness, turns bluetooth and wi-fi off etc., and then adjusts it back when plugged in to the charger?

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Try "MarcoPolo". You can trigger various actions on your computer (including toggling Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) depending on whatever configuration you're currently using (including being powered by A/C vs. battery). The interface is kinda ugly, but hey, it's free and works as advertised. I don't think that you can adjust the screen brightness, but you might be able to achieve that via an Applescript which can be triggered by MarcoPolo:

http://www.symonds.id.au/marcopolo/

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It might not work 100% with Mac OS X 10.6:

4. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Bummer. I do use MarcoPolo on 10.6 without issue, but I don't use any of the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth items. Your mileage may vary, apparently!

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't use MarcoPolo, I just read it on their website.

Bluetooth is turned off on my MB/MBP anyway and AirPort does not take that much out of my battery and I can shut it down manually if needed.

6. mattb79 thread starter macrumors member

You'd think this sort of profile management would be built in. I'm pretty sure Windows has/had a customizable power profile setting.

It's not a big deal. Just hoped something could do the job for when the wife wants to take the MacBook Pro to the office, without explaining battery saving methods to her.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does she not use the power adapter in the office?

If she uses the MBP during commute, the battery won't be drained that much, unless the commute takes hours.

Btw, the display automatically reduces brightness during battery use, but if the ambient light sensor is on, the surrounding light determines the brightness, unless one uses the F1 and F2 keys manually.