Automatic Restart when USB is connected

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MBruce99, Jun 2, 2009.

1. MBruce99 macrumors newbie

MBruce99

Hey,

I have a G5 and recently when I plug in any USB cord other than my iphone USB to sync, my screen goes dim and a message is displayed in English, French, Japanese ect. That says I must hold down the power button for several seconds to restart my Mac. I reboot and all is fine. I don't feel like lugging my 50 lb tower to the Apple Store if I don't have to. Any ideas???

Thanks MBruce99

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Thats a Kernel Panic.. Did you update lately? Use the combo installer.

3. MBruce99 thread starter macrumors newbie

MBruce99

Well, I just found out my brother back from college for the summer downloaded a program called Pwned to jailbreak his iPhone...I am wondering if that changed the USB settings for the Mac and thinking thats why the only USB connection that works is with the iPhone...does that sound stupid???

4. MBruce99 thread starter macrumors newbie

MBruce99

Has anyone ever had this problem after jail breaking their iPhone??

5. msevild macrumors regular

Yes. I know of what you speak. A little while ago users needed to downgrade their USB drivers to break a phone. This wouldn't affect usability of the USB port with the iPhone but would cause a kernel panic every time another USB device would be plugged in. You will need to update the USB drivers again by either running the specific driver update itself or reinstalling the combo update for the current version of the OS you are running. I can try to help you out. What version of the OS are you currently running. 10.4.11, 10.5.6, 10.5.7, etc?

6. MBruce99 thread starter macrumors newbie

MBruce99

7. msevild macrumors regular

Download this IOUSB kernel extension from this link
    http://rapidshare.com/files/191830945/iousbfamily327.4.0log.dmg
    and install the one that does not have the log in the file name. once installed it should ask to restart your machine. That should resolve the issue. Or if you do a normal software update through Apple SOftware update up to 10.5.7, that should install an even newer IOUSBFamily extension in it's place. Either way will work. Let me know how it goes.

8. MBruce99 thread starter macrumors newbie

MBruce99

Thanks a lot...I will try that in the morning. Im on my laptop right now, but I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.