automatic screen dimming

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fake1009, Mar 17, 2009.

1. fake1009 macrumors member

The other day I saw my friends ipod touch which was playing music with the screen on for a few minutes. The backlight was on pretty bright. I listened for a while and when I looked at the screen it seemed to have automatically dimmed itself dramatically. Is that normal?

Its one of the latest 1 gen ipod touches btw, bought in may of 2008.

Mine is one of the earliest ones and it doesn't seem to do that.

2. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

yes it's normal, and all of the iPod Touches (1G and 2G) have it. you can turn it on/off by going to Settings>Brightness and then toggling the On/Off switch for Auto-Brightness

3. fake1009 thread starter macrumors member

really? I always thought the sensor only adjusted itself in response to bright light, that is going brighter according to the brightness of the surrounding lights. But I didn't know it could automatically dim itself too because my ipod never does that, even in a pitch black room.

To me it seemed as if the ipod sensed that the screen was on and idle for a long time and so it dimmed itself to save energy. But like I said earlier mine never does anything like that. Also the room was really bright so it could not have dimmed itself through the auto adjuster.

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

oh i'm sorry, i misread the post earlier. but yes this is also normal and it does it on both generations. the screen dims 15 seconds before going into sleep mode to tell you it's about to go into sleep mode.