Automatic start-up and shut-down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jack06, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Jack06 macrumors member

Hey Guys,
    Just found out about the automatic start-up and shut-down options in Energy Savings. This is fantastic, what a simple but brilliant idea!
    I was just curious about how many of you use it, or do you leave your Mac in sleep mode all night?
    Also do you reckon sleep mode uses enough power to warrant shutting down every evening, and in the long term would shutting it down each night and starting it up each morning take it's toll on components?
    Cheers and look forward to hearing your experiences..

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I leave my MB in sleep overnight if I'm going to use it the next day.

No, I think it's better to just leave it in sleep mode than shut it down/turn it on multiple times per week.

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

This is true. Turning it on and off a lot can hurt your computer from the rapid changes in temperature. And turning on and off your Mac is going to drink more electricity versus just letting it go to sleep because when you turn your Mac on, everything revs up (i.e. hard drives and fans).

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Another excellent point that I need to tell my Dad whenever he says 'what's that light?' ;)

5. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

I restart mine on average of twice a month I'd guess. Usually only when there's an update or if I won't be using or for a couple days, in which case I turn it off.

I've never heard of the harms of temperature change before, interesting, and good to know.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

That's a good plan :)

7. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers Guys,
    Some great feedback there, at the moment the Macbook Pro isn't my primary computer, but when it is (going to Malaysia to study), I think I might leave it in sleep, hell it'll be great not having to wait for it to startup!

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You would have to design a small robot on wheels with a latex finger and a timer that when sounded causes the robot to roll at 3cm/s into the power switch therein starting-up the computer.

That or one of the bird pecking devices you see activate a switch when the water (counter-balance) empties.