Automatic Sync

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pharonyk, Sep 10, 2010.

1. pharonyk macrumors member

I have a Gaming Desktop with Windows 7 and a (new i7) MacBook Pro that works great. I'm tired of updating my pictures, music, and other folders manually between my desktop and macbook pro. I want both of them to automatically update and sync with each other through LAN (not internet).

For example, let's say I go out with my macbook pro and I save this awesome picture in my 'Pictures' folder in OSX. Once I get home, I open 'some program I'm asking for' to check my Pictures folder on OSX and "My Pictures" folder on Windows. What this program will do is check both folders and copy whatever picture is missing... so basically the folders will be replicated and updated automatically.

Does this exist? It would really help because I'm sick of manually updating my files between my desktop and laptop. I know there are other methods but I find this the best for me.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Dropbox will also sync via LAN if both computers are on the same network.

4. pharonyk thread starter macrumors member

Dropbox is an awesome service but it doesn't actually do what I really want. I do see it mentioning something about LAN syncing but I'm not encountering any LAN syncing at all! I actually don't want to upload my Photos, Music (copyrighted), and Videos to the DropBox (2GB) site.

I only want to set my Photos, Music, and Videos folders to automatically sync between my MacBook Pro and Windows Desktop without uploading any files onto some server.

5. py99ajh macrumors newbie

Im looking to do exact same thing.

I have been doing this on a windows only home network in past using autosync by memeo. This is very simple system but unfortunately is windows only.

I have now made the switch to mac hence the hunt.

Chronosync regularly comes up on google searches but from the instruction manual it looks as though it does not do background syncing .. only scheduled syncs. Not ideal! This seems similar with synctogether.

Sugarsync looked like a winner but i found out is wan based - as is dropbox.

Did you find a winner? Anyone has anyother suggestions?

6. pharonyk thread starter macrumors member

Apparently the best out there is Windows Live Mesh 2011.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mesh?os=other

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Just FYI - as mentioned above, Dropbox will sync over LAN if it is connected (providing the Enable LAN Sync option is checked in Preferences). Otherwise it will sync via Dropbox's servers.