Automatic Syncing Between Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by navier-stokes, Mar 27, 2008.

1. navier-stokes macrumors newbie

As a PC user I am looking to convert to Mac soon and i'm thinking about either:

- A high spec 15" MBP
    - A low spec 15" MBP and 23" monitor
    - A low spec 24" iMac and low spec MBA

I'm looking for day to day portability (going to college etc) but I also prefer the idea of a much larger screen when back at home.

My question is regarding the last of the 3 options. Do Macs have the in built capability of syncing particular files and/or folders automatically between 2 Macs? Eg. say I did a days work on the MBA, brought it home and the data was automatically duplicated to the iMac when in wireless range of each other, and vice versa?

Or should I sacrifice portability and home power for less hassle and get a MBP with monitor?

2. yojimbo1 macrumors member

I use foldershare (foldershare.com) to sync files between my computers (a PC and a MBP)

3. Doogles macrumors newbie

I personally have a 13.3" macbook and am purchasing a higher spec 24" iMac. I also have .mac to sync all of my stuff between the two computers.

4. navier-stokes thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there not a size limit on the amount of data you can sync?

I've heard about Chronosync, is this what I need?

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes. All Macs and for that matter all UNIX and Linux system come with a program called "rsync" that will do this. You can guess from the name "rsync" that it was designed to sync a Remote compter copying over only what has changed in a given set of folders.

But "rsync" is a comand line program and people find it very hard to remember how to spell and type so to address this there are any number if graphical front end programs that present the user with a dialog box and then when the "OK" button is clicked simply let the rsyc command and let it do the work. Most of these apps have "sync" in their name. It is very easy to make these front end programs so there are a zillion of them, some free, some shareware, some comercial but they are all just fancy ways to launch rsync without typing "rsync".

While macs ship with rsync they don't ship with any of the GUI front ends to rsync. You will have to choose which of these, if any, you want and download it

6. dangerfish macrumors 6502

.mac comes with 10gigs of space. you can buy more if you need it.