Automatic text reflow in iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Aug 10, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

The iPhone is really hard on the eyes with its tiny text. Since Apple insists on sticking to puny 640 horizontal pixels on the iPhone 5, the least they can do for people with bad eyesight is to include automatic text reflow across the device for all apps. If nothing else, I hope they do it for Safari at least. Thoughts?

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

That is exactly what the Reader function (which is already built into Safari) is for.

3. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry but it doesn't work for all sites (Ex: discussion forums). Even text on the Macrumors mobile site looks very small. This needs to happen across the board and shouldn't have to be part of a Reader mode. People should be still able to use the Reader mode of they wish however.

4. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Ah, I see what you mean now. My mistake :)

5. aleni macrumors 68020

Yeah. reader is really awesome. It makes reading much better than android's gigantic screen.

For forum reading. Use tapatalk instead. It's much better than reading it in safari

6. MRxRoman macrumors newbie

That's a good solution for now. But he means when the next iPhone comes out. Because I agree, the text needs to be overall larger in safari for any web page, because after about 20 mins of reading forums on my iPhone my eyes start to get irritated. We shouldn't have to get a 3rd party app just to be able to read better in safari you know? Seems like Apple should be aware of this and try to do something about it. Crossing my fingers.

7. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

The macrumors mobile site is easily readable on even my 3gs at a greater distance than you would normally hold your phone. I just tried it, both the forum and the front page. I can't believe people have a problem with it.

I can appreciate that some people would want a bigger screen, but I really think those same people need to drop the web browsing argument. The same mobile site on a 4.5 inch screen will only be marginally bigger than on an iphone, and desktop pages will suck just as bad. Using terms like tiny and puny in relation to a phone makes one look either trollish, or just plain stupid.

Reflowing text? Cool, bring it on. More features is better. I maintain though that it is not really needed for sites to be more legible. It's funny how people keep blaming Apple for walking around with blurry vision.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If they do, I hope they allow you to disable it, i hate reflow, it really messes up the layout of web pages unless your zoomed all the way out, and then the text is too small. I really like the way the iPhone does it now, even android is following, there is no reflow in chrome (it may be an option though, I just know on my HTC One X there was no reflow in chrome).