AUTOmatic turn on video play full screen loop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alspants, Feb 8, 2012.

1. alspants macrumors newbie

Dear MACRUMOURSFORUM

I have a idea. Its a little idea and I know one of you might be able to point me in the correct direction to perform the following operation efficiently;

1. Schedule the MAC osx machine (either a macbook, minimac, etc) to turn on at say... 8.45am
    2. Schedule the MAC to play a video file (say a .mov or whatever) automatically at a certain volume, go to full screen, and loop all day. (with no display of loop, etc)
    3. Schedule the MAC to shut down at 7pm.

This mac will be connected to a Projector via VGA. The idea is that the video starts, loops all day and turns off.

Any ideas, like how to do this with Automator, etc, would be seriously appreciated.

Cheers, Alspants.

2. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

1. is a tad tricky as I don't think it is possible to fix through EFI. However, as far as I know Mac's do listen to 'wake on lan' packets. Perhaps you could have another system (which is always on or is able to startup at a particular time through BIOS) send wake on lan packets over the network at 8.45 am?
    2. could probably be done by adding a video file to the startup items? Another option is to run an applescript as a startup item to play a video for you and loop it?
    3. you could setup a cronjob to shutdown the system every (week)day at 7pm

3. Patriiick macrumors member

1- Go to "energy settings", then click on the "schedule" or "program" button
    Voila.. :)
    2 - You can add a video file at startup, but the fullscreen is not guaranteed; A bit trickier but i m sure there is a way
    3 - See 1-, same deal :)