Automatic Update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shazzam, Jun 8, 2011.

1. shazzam macrumors regular

Automatic Download got me thinking. If such a thing called Automatic Update existed it could keep all ur apps updated across platforms downloading them in the background without u really even noticing. You could turn it on or off, maybe on by default for the following reason...

I know lots of people that don't even know their apps get updated, or care when they get updated. They have a badge that says X number of apps can be updated but never do anything about it. Automatic Update could keep all ur apps up to date, all the time.

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That would destroy peoples data caps though. Imagine games like Dungeon Hunter that are around 200mb, or navigation apps that are well into the gigabytes.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I fireed up the wifes computer and loaded up iTunes. It said she had 58 apps that had updates to them.
    Her response... "why do I need to update them if they still work?"

4. shazzam thread starter macrumors regular

As iOS is moving to OTA delta updates I would imagine this problem would be solved if the App Store also moved to delta updates under such an 'Automatic Update'.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Will it ask you if you want to update or it will just start downloading automaticly OTA updates?

6. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Simple fix. Apple could add a setting that you could choose to update:

1. Manual only
    2. Auto sync when on Wifi only
    3. Auto sync when on Wifi or 3G

7. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

My one issue with automatic updates is sometimes features can be added (or removed) that may mean that you don't want to update. eg: "update removes ability to download YouTube videos, to comply with YouTube user agreement".

Now that adds value.

Or truing on ads

Removing features tat were free, now need to be paid for.

8. iKennett macrumors 6502

Same here and it drives me crazy... I have to grab the wife's MacBook when I can to do a quick refresh!