Automatic updates only working when connected to WIFI

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MoonageDaydream, Oct 3, 2013.

1. MoonageDaydream macrumors newbie

I have it set to use Cellular data for automatic downloads...yet it never automatically downloads my app updates unless I am on WiFi. I go into the app store and the updates appear and just sit there with the red badge. As soon as I connect to WiFi they download immediately. When you use cellular data for automatic downloads does it just take longer or happen at a specific time. And again, I have 'Use Cellular Data' for automatic downloads toggled to ON, so please don't suggest that as a fix.

2. lukejc1 macrumors 6502

GO to Settings>Cellular

Under "USE CELLULAR DATA FOR:" is "App Store" set to on?

3. MoonageDaydream thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it is on. I don't know why they won't download the updates. Does it have something to do with my cellular provider maybe? Or the strength of my signal?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Automatic updates doesn't mean they're updated the moment the update is released. It updates at intervals throughout the day - if one of those intervals happens to be while you're on cellular, it will update (if you allow it). If you're on wifi when it checks for available updates, it will download then. Just depends.

5. MoonageDaydream thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think thats entirely accurate because each time I connected to a wifi it downloaded them immediately. When its on cellular the updates just sit there and never update. It can't be that everytime I connect to a WiFi it just so happens to be exactly at one of those intervals.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The intervals only apply if you're not manually opening the app store app and checking the updates tab.

Also, it will only download updates less than 50MB over cellular. If it's over that it won't update unless you're on wifi.

7. MoonageDaydream thread starter macrumors newbie

Where have you heard about these intervals? Still doesn't make sense. Even if I open the app store and see the pending updates, eventually it should get around to downloading them, but its not, unless I connect to a wireless network.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

How large are these updates usually? Are you on LTE, 4G, 3G, or something else usually when not on Wi-Fi (with fairly good signal strength)?

9. MoonageDaydream thread starter macrumors newbie

The updates aren't large at all. At most 25 MB. I am on LTE and always have a good signal. Don't get it.

10. MoonageDaydream thread starter macrumors newbie

This is frustrating. Why does it seem like I'm the only one with this problem? I have every setting for automatic downloads turned on including "Use cellular data" and still nothing. It's only when i connect to wifi that my apps update. I'm not on wifi and I've had a pending app sitting there for hours and it hasn't updated even though all the settings for that to happen are turned on.

11. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'm having the same problem

12. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

Go to settings > Itunes and App Store then scroll down and make sure app updates and use mobile data are set to on...

Attached Files:

13. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Everything is on. Except it says cellular data instead of mobile data, but that shouldn't matter. It has always said cellular for me so it might be a region thing.

14. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

Yea that's ok... AFAIK it says "cellular data" only for North America... But, if all those options are on it should work fine for updates below 100MB...

15. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Nope, I think it will update up to 100MB now. I just updated some apps that were like 75mb on Cellular data....

----------

There are two place for "Use Cellular Data" One place to make sure its on is Settings>iTunes & App Store
    And Settings>Cellular

Otherwise maybe do a hard reset and see if that helps?

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

There is no place to find open WiFi? So many places have now and you could just poark outside their door and down your files in very little time.

17. MoonageDaydream thread starter macrumors newbie

Well sometimes i can't get on wifi and id like this auto update to work when i can't get on wifi. Woke up this morning to see the updates are still there. I don't get it. Ive checked my settings over and over again and there's no reason why this shouldn't be working. Yet the updates just sit there and wait til i connect to wifi

18. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I assume you've tried rebooting? Maybe turning it off, rebooting, turning it on and rebooting again?

I think there are some bugs that need to be worked out still with iOS 7. I've never been able to get touch ID to work on the appstore yet. Maybe 7.1 will fix these issues.

19. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

Do you have unlimited data? I don't recommend doing this on cellular network unless you have ud or you're rich.

20. MoonageDaydream thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i do have unlimited data that's why I was hoping these auto updates worked better through cellular. And I've tried everything. Rebooting, refreshing settings, etc. Maybe im just too impatient and need to stop checking the App Store. I keep checking the App Store for updates so maybe when I do that it just expects I'm gonna update them myself , plus I'm not on wifi and it doesn't want to use my data when it doesn't have to and and that's why they sit there? I dunno.

21. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

I'm having exactly the same issue, works fine and immediately downloads on WI-FI but they just sit there waiting for me to press update when on cellular.

Everything is set up as should be (cell data on, app store allowed to use cell data , auto updates downloads on etc) have tried resetting on more than one occasion and still no dice.

Don't think it's a carrier thing as I'm totally unlimited and all the apps update fine over cellular when manually updated.

It's a bit of a pain for me as my iphone is my main broadband connection (it's ten times faster than the best wired connection I can get here) so I rarely turn WI-FI on.

22. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I've got the opposite problem

Past 5 days I've had plenty of app updates over the mobile network. I have unlimited data but the issue is battery drain and the phone can get hot.

It will work given time, I just wish I could turn off mobile / cellular app updates but keep iTunes Match over cellular. Can't control them independently so I've had to turn off auto updates. :(

23. SuperKirby, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

SuperKirby macrumors member

OP, did you ever figure out a fix? I am having the same problem. I DO NOT have wifi at home or anywhere around me, but I have unlimited data 4G/LTE. My apps never get auto-updated.

Yes I understand it updates in intervals and not immediately, that's why I have left it alone for a week! And still no update.

To be even more clear, the apps that need updating are under 30 MBs. (I know they wont download or update apps over 100 MBs in Cellular data mode).

OP, what carrier are you on? My cousin suggested it might be carrier specific.
    @CelestialToys, what carrier are you on?
    @djtech42, and you? whoever is having the same problem, what carrier are you on? I'm on Tmobile.

And yes, it is toggled to on:

Attached Files:

24. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

I'm on 3 in the UK, I'm still not getting the auto updates over cellular.

My thoughts are that it is carrier specific, but it seems strange that I can manually update the apps over cellular without problem.

I'm going to wait until 7.0.4 and if it isn't sorted by then I'll start chasing Apple/3 for answers

25. SuperKirby macrumors member

Oh ok. I don't think it's carrier specific since it is happening to you in the UK and i'm on Tmobile in the States. It's Apple specific.

The problem with this issue is that only a very small percentage of people see this problem because 99.99% of people have wifi so they aren't worrying about it like us non-wifi people are.