Automatic updates while using hotspot - don't want

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 2ms, Dec 25, 2016.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I have been getting some astromical data usage on my iPhone lately and wonder if it might be that my iPad has been automatically downloading app updates while connected to my iPhone via Personal Hotspot. I do connect to my iPhone in this way during my commute to surf the web on my iPad.

Can anyone tell me whether or not the iPad does automatic updates while connected to Personal Hotspots? If it does, can anyone recommend a way of avoiding unwanted data usage from this? I greatly prefer doing updates automatically. But can't afford to have them being done via my iPhone.

2. ericwn macrumors 65816

I don't think there's a setting to avoid updates when on a hotspot. You might want to consider switching auto updates off and when in a suitable Wifi, go to the App Store and tap on "update all".

3. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

How much data are you talking about? Most apps aren't that large. Could you be downloading music in the backround or other media?

4. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Do you have iCloud Photos on? That might use a lot of data for uploading and downloading photos and videos. It has happened to me.

5. ericwn macrumors 65816

I'm not sure how large should be defined but I have a couple games that easily consume half a gigabyte on the device.

6. ericwn macrumors 65816

But isn't the iCloud photo thing syncing on wifi only (or at least by default) just like iCloud Backup?

7. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Yes you need to firstly turn off automatic downloads made on other devices in settings for iTunes and App Store.

If you go into settings for iPhone there will be a mobile data option which provides you with management of apps that can use mobile data or not. Ensure you turn off wifi assist at the bottom

Other options, are, settings on your iPhone and disable mobile data use in iTunes and App Store.

If you dig into the settings for music, video, iBooks you can also turn off mobile data usage.

Play around with it til you get what you want.

8. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Are you playing then leaving them in backround? If so go to settings and turn off background refresh for those apps. Sounds like they really aren't app updates but gameplay updates.

9. ericwn macrumors 65816

I am not the OP.
    I am responding to your statement that most apps are not big and gave you an example of apps that actually are big, at least in my opinion. With thousands of apps on the market today it's getting hard to predict what size an app could be.

10. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

The iPad connects to the mobile hotspot using wifi.

I like how in Windows 10 one can set any wifi connection as "metered", which limits the amount of data usage to a minimum.

11. Gabrielanicolao macrumors member

Gabrielanicolao

Well, there is no setting to avoid updates on a hotspot.

12. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1