iPhone Automatic updates

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Br0wnP4nd4, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Br0wnP4nd4 macrumors newbie

I'd like to see apple improve the automatic updates on ios 7. They should make it similar to iCloud back up, whenever you connect your phone to charger (and on wifi) you phone automatically checks for updates and performs them. Not just when phone connects to wifi. Lets make it happen

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What difference does it make? If the connection is there then why not use it??

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

I don't want to be using battery life if I happen to connect to a WiFi network and I'm away from the charger but I still want to take advantage of automatic updates. I actually like the idea.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've found it really doesn't make much difference to battery life.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This. Background activity for file system uses little battery life.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

So what is the purpose of having to be plugged in for automatic iCloud backups?

7. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Many iCloud backups are larger volumes of data, plus they are just backups so why not just do them nightly?

I tend to agree however that it seems silly to push updates when not connected to a charging source (which you need to do daily anyhow). Being < 24 hours delayed on an app update doesn't seem to be a big deal….

8. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

I've had the same experience as Gav2k. I have really great battery life right now, even with the automatic updates. I think it's really nice not having to be connected to the charger.

9. Br0wnP4nd4 thread starter macrumors newbie

But why not just put it in as an option. I don't connect my phone or update my apps manually everyday. It could just be an option.