Automatic UPS shutdown

Discussion in 'macOS' started by big_malk, May 11, 2008.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

After my Mac almost blew up along with the power strip, I got a UPS to protect it, I got an APC RS 1500 (UK model). It plugged in and worked fine, the new settings showed up in the energy saving preference pane, so I didn't bother with the bundled software it came with, since I don't think it's leopard compatible anyway.

I set it to shut down once there's 5 minutes battery backup remaining, and restart after a power failure. Then I thought I'd give it test run, so I turned the power off at the mains.

When the time came it sort of shut down, but not in the normal way, all the application window's stayed open, and a a big spinning progress thing (like the loading symbol on tab in safari) appeared in the middle of the screen, then the screens went black. That didn't bother me, I thought it was maybe going into a 'deep sleep' like my MBP does when the battery completely dies.

It didn't power down though, my FireWave Firewire sound card stayed powered, and the status light (on the MP) stayed on. After about 5 minutes, I turned the mains power back on expecting it to 'restart after a power failure', but that didn't happen, I pressed the MP power button and nothing happened, I pressed my mouse and keyboard but nothing happened (they're wireless so didn't expect much), I pressed the power button on the UPS as a last resort and it turned of instantly, killing the power to my MP.

This might have been a safer way to power off the MP than killing power when everything was running, but in the end I had to kill the power to it anyway. Is this the way things are supposed to happen? It doesn't seem right to me that it shouldn't shut down completely, and couldn't turn on again?

2. Buttercookie macrumors member

No it shouldn't do that. Google to see if you can get the leopard software for it. It should shut down properly. I have an APC UPS and mine shuts down correctly