Automatic video sync between iPhone and Mac

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Gogurt48, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I think this is new. I'm running iOS 7, beta 4, on my iPhone 5 and iTunes 11.1 beta on my MacBook Pro. When watching a video on the Mac with iTunes, if I go to the iPhone and call up the same video, it picks up right where I left off on the Mac. Later, if I go back to the Mac, it picks up right where I left off on the iPhone. It does this automatically, without having to sync the iPhone.

It's a wonderful feature. Is it new, or did I just not notice it before?

2. hnic247 macrumors member

hnic247

3. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Nope. A good guess, but I don't have Home Sharing enabled.

4. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Could be that you have your movie stored in the cloud and then select the movies and your iDevice through the cloud as well… if not and they're both stored locally then it does appear to be a very neat feature.

5. Jab00 macrumors regular

This was a pretty big feature that they mentioned during the introduction of iOS 7 if I remember correctly. Haven't heard anything about it since then and I completely forgot about it but glad to hear it is working as advertised!

6. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I can confirm that both movies I tested this with were stored locally. Also, one was tagged as a movie, the other was tagged as a home video. It worked the same either way.

----------

They must have mentioned it when they were discussing Mavericks. I missed a big chunk of that presentation. It's a great feature and it really does work!

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Nice job Apple! Haha

8. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Apparently, this is a feature of iCloud. From Apple's website:

I'm pretty sure this didn't work for me until I installed the iTunes 11.1 beta a few days ago. But it sure does work now! It's wonderful!