Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I put some music in the "Automatically add to iTunes" and nothing has happened. I thought that if you were to drag/paste/move music files into that folder then they would automatically be added to the iTunes library.

Am I missing some thing here?

Jez27

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
Blackpool, UK
I have the same option selected for my iTunes library;

Whenever I double-click an MP3 file, it will open with iTunes, before being copied by iTunes ("automatically added"...) into the iTunes library and sorted automatically into the correct artist/album folder inside the music folder within my user settings.

Once that is done, if it's a file that I've copied across to my desktop, for example, I delete the desktop version because when iTunes adds it to the library, it makes a new copy (above).

As far as I know, just dropping the files there won't automatically add them into iTunes. You have to select to play them first and iTunes will do the rest.

Unless anyone else can say otherwise? :)

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Don't know why the "Automatically add to iTunes" feature doesn't work for you. But you can also drag and drop the files to the iTunes window and they will be added. Actually no need to double-click each file. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.