Automatically Connecting to other computers on my network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kuska, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Kuska macrumors regular

Kuska

Apologies if this has been asked before - I've had a quick look, but there are just so many pages........

So, I have three computers on my wireless network (1 iMac, 2 Mac Books all running Leopard 10.5.1) and when I want to connect to any one of them, I have to do it manually to mount the relevant home folders inputting passwords etc.

Is there any way that I can get the homefolders to automatically mount on to the machine I am starting up. ie. During startup the machine searches and mounts already networked and authorised machines ? I would just want all authorised computers Home folders to show up in the Finder and cut out the manual process.

I'd be grateful for any help - Thanks.

2. Kuska thread starter macrumors regular

Kuska

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Don't know if this will work but when you have the home folders mounted you could try dragging them into System Preferences - Accounts - Login Items

Edit: Just tried it on mine and it worked.

4. Kuska thread starter macrumors regular

Kuska

Great, Thankyou - I'll give it a go when I get back tonight - Did you still have to enter passwords at the login stage ?

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Nope, did it all silently in the background.

This is actually something I wanted to get sorted out but could never be bothered to think about it, so cheers for asking.

6. Kuska thread starter macrumors regular

Kuska

Well, your suggestion worked perfectly, just had to ensure that the password was saved in keychain and it connected in the background. Another triumph for OSX ! - Thanks again.