Automatically connecting to wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muledogus, Jun 24, 2009.

1. muledogus macrumors 6502

I don't broadcast my wireless network at home. Anyone know of a way to make my iPhone connect to it automatically as it does with broadcasted networks?

2. Torq macrumors regular

I have not tried it.

I have SSID broadcast enabled, but filter by MAC address and use WPA/2. Mostly on accoutn of other devices.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Again with your rambling. You enjoy sharing stuffs people are not asking, don't you?

OP, try simply selecting the "Other..." option and put in the information as you would normally do from any pc.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I don't recall any setting on the iPhone itself to specify that a network is hidden, but I do know that in the iPhone Configuration Utility you can add a WiFi network to a configuration profile and specify that it is a hidden network. This should cause it to attempt to connect to that non-broadcasting SSID automatically.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. muledogus thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I've been doing. Unfortunately I've had to enter the network name and password every time. My password is encrypted to 26 characters so that's why I don't want to enter it every time. Luckily I can store it in notes and copy and paste it now but still it's a step I wouldn't mind eliminating.

6. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

won't it automatically re-connect after you tell it that the network is there?

7. muledogus thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, I thought it might but for some reason it doesn't.

PoitNarf: That looks like it would work. All I have to do now is upgrade to OS 10.5 and install the config. utility.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You should only have to enter the name and password once, after which it should remember it and connect automatically every time. I don't broadcast my SSID either, and after the first time my iPhone has always connected automatically.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Same here. I haven't had to reconnect it manually since my first iPhone.

Has it ever remembered it? What are your network settings generally?

10. muledogus thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine won't. Maybe it's a glitch in my software.

Thanks anyways.

Edit: you guys were right. I just needed to give it a few seconds after turning wifi on to connect. Thanks again for everyones help.