Automatically convert file & add to itunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by brettO5, May 27, 2013.

1. brettO5 macrumors member

OK so I've searched long and hard for a solution to this. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me please.
    Once I have a video file (mkv, avi, mp4 etc), I want handbrake to watch a nominated folder and automatically begin conversion to an ATV2 compliant filetype. I then want the converted file to be automatically added to itunes. I've tried using Dropfolders to watch the folder and auto convert and this seems to work OK, however if I tell it to send the file to the 'Automatically add to itunes' folder, itunes tries to add the file prior to the completion of the conversion and therefore fails.
    Is there a way to accomplish automating this entire task?

Cheers, Brett

2. Toubro macrumors newbie

I have done somewhat the same, just with Subler and Automator. It seems a little silly, but what I have done to work around iTunes prematurely trying to import the video file, is to have a folder called "Import". I then make sure Subler saves its file in this folder. Then an automator folder action simply moves the video file from the "Import" folder to the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder, and voila, it works :)

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Am sure this can be done with a little Apple-Scripting.

4. brettO5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. I'll look into setting up an automator folder action.

That's what I thought too, but I have little to no experience with Apple Scripting unfortunately.

Cheers, Brett

5. shotts56 macrumors 6502

I use iFlicks for such a thing (although you need to pay for - maybe $10?). It converts, adds the appropriate metadata/artwork, and there is also an option to "automatically add to iTunes" after conversion.

A fine piece of software, although admittedly it is a little slower at converting that Handbrake.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have Handbrake set to send files to IDentify when completed, then IDentify automatically adds them to iTunes. I do confirm the results in IDentify before clicking "Save" but there may be an option to skip that step, I haven't looked.