Automatically convert Microsoft Office to iWork

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sothos, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Sothos macrumors member

I'm a university student and I like using iWork. I'm having a bit of trouble but Office is not an option.

It's just that some documents have to be downloaded from the internet, and of course these are Microsoft Office files.

I am getting pretty tired of opening them in pages and saving them. So here's what I want to do:

When I open a microsoft office file, the file will be converted and saved to iWork format in the same directory before being opened in iWork.

I think this can be done with Applescript, but I'm just guessing.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Automator can definitively handle that.

However, if you just want to open the files in iWork applications instead of MS Office applications, "Get info" on one of the office files, and have them all changed to open with e.g. Pages. Maybe you just have to look at most of the files? If you don't make any changes, probably you don't need to convert them.

4. Sothos thread starter macrumors member

Solution Found

I was going through some scripts on the internet about converting word documents to pages document.

I started playing with the code and produced one that would convert any office (word, ppt, xls) dropped onto the app into iwork format and delete the original file.

Applescript felt so natural I just learned from reading the original code.

I just wanted to share it here who might have the same problem as mine. I'm not a programmer so it's not really so clean but it works. :)

Attached Files: