Automatically Copy Certain Files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by purple37, Nov 25, 2008.

1. purple37 macrumors newbie

I want to copy certain files (to an external hard drive, but that doesn't matter) to another folder. But i want it to do it automatically with one click (or two, but you get the point). I want it to only copy files that are also in the destination folder from the source folder to the destination folder. (sorry that doesn't make much sense). But my goal is to back up my music into a folder, but not all of, only the folders that are already there. So basically, replacing old with new, but adding no new folders at all.

Thanks, sorry it was a bit confusing (sorry for double post, lagged and i clicked Post button twice - maybe a mod/admin could delete one)

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I would search for programs that sync files (should be a lot unless you want cross platform compatibility). I personally use unison but it has a learning curve.

3. Slumbercub macrumors regular

You could try Hazel which is a sort of automatic file sort and cleanup app. You will just need to set up a simple rule to copy the files that you want to where you want and Hazel will do the heavy lifting for you. Excellent app.

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Can you explain precisely what final overall goal you're trying to achieve? In other words, it sounds like you have a folder full of music, so why are there new folders of music in there that you don't want to backup? Is it because some folders contain new music that you aren't sure if you want to keep? Because if that's the case then the solution is simple, make 2 folders, one called "main music library" and the other called "new music library."

5. purple37 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice, but this was going to a be a round about, easy way of backing up, but i got Time Machine to work with my NAS