Automatically force quitting unresponsive application during shutdown

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashutosh.jain, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ashutosh.jain macrumors newbie

Is it possible that mac automatically force quit any unresponsive application once shut down command is given rather than asking the user to do it manually?
    In windows its possible but I dunno about mac. I don't mind losing any unsaved changes in that case.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Mac closes all open applications on shut down.

3. ashutosh.jain thread starter macrumors newbie

Not the unresponsive applications

Mac does not closes the applications which become unresponsive. Many a times these applications cancel the shutdown and that what I don't want.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you have unresponsive applications, use the Force Quit option from the Apple menu to quit them (or Command-Option-Esc). Force quitting apps automatically at shutdown would cause lost data, and while you may not care in your specific instance, it would be very bad policy for Apple to implement that automatically.

If you're regularly having applications become unresponsive, then you have a problem that needs to be solved, instead of trying to find a way to automatically force quit those apps.

jW

5. ashutosh.jain thread starter macrumors newbie

Most of the time its Safari that doesn't quit during shutdown and I have to manually force quit it always :)
    I don't think it would be a bad policy move for apple if it gives this as an option for the users.
    In windows at shutdown the OS closes any unresponsive programs like browsers and torrents.
    What I am saying is the shutdown program of mac OS is not as strong as that of windows.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If Safari is regularly hanging, then you should perform some diagnostics to see what's wrong with it. Most likely it's due to a plugin or extension. Look in your /Library/Internet Plug-ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins folders to see if there's anything you don't need, and/or update whatever plugins you do have (Flash is a common culprit). To check extensions, simply open Safari's Preferences and look in the extensions tab. Again, remove any you don't need, and see if any say they have an update available. I would also recommend installing Click to Flash if you don't currently have it installed, as it will help with any Flash-based problems.

jW