automatically get information and input excel or numbers

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by kermgg, Apr 16, 2010.

1. kermgg macrumors newbie

is there a way to write a program that will automatically get information like yahoo stock quotes and input data into excel or numbers. i also like to be able get data at defiant times of the day. if i can only get the data into excel or number without cutting and pasting that will be a lot easier :)

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

Not sure exactly how to input stuff into Numbers/Excel, but a simple way of getting the data you want is using quotes.yahoo.com with some extra options at the end. Eg. http://quote.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=aapl&f=oap2, would give something like the string "130.75,125.20,"-3.55%” (startPrice, currentPrice, percentageChange). The stuff after the ? is a cgi script (that returns the info in CSV, comma separated values, with arguments, s=theTickerSymbol and f=oap2 does something I think making it the format that is returned, but you will probably have to Google details if you want something else.

3. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

4. kermgg thread starter macrumors newbie

need to find the right automator for excel

after looking into what i have and what need for excel. i found that it would be helpful if i had excel business mac 2008. i have the home and student version of excel. in the business version you get automator workflows that automat task. now i need to learn applescript/programing to write my own automator for excel.