Automatically Import Photos When I Get New Ones

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mo4yajunk, Nov 7, 2008.

1. mo4yajunk macrumors newbie

I have a folder called Vacation. When I import this folder, all the pictures show up. But when I add new photos to the vacation folder they don't show up in iphoto. How do I get iphoto to make these show up automatically. Thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I strongly recommend importing all photos through iPhoto, rather than adding them to a folder.

Allow iPhoto to organize your photos within the iPhoto Library file. You'll end up with far less heartaches this way.

3. mo4yajunk thread starter macrumors newbie

But doesn't this mean that every time I get a new photo(s) and want them in the same event folder that I will have to import them individually and then merge them. And also, where are my actual library photos since iphoto only makes copies. And thanks for the response.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In iPhoto, merging two 'events' (the equivalent of folders, I suppose), is as simple as clicking and dragging one event icon on-top of the other.

Your actual photos are stored in your User's Picture folder in the 'iPhoto library' package (which is managed entirely by iPhoto, and should not be modified). If you use iPhoto to manage your photos, there's no reason to keep copies anywhere else on your computer (but you should always have a backup of your iPhoto library, of course).

5. mo4yajunk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm leary but I will take a "small" chance on iphoto for the time being. I however will keep my "original photo files" until I become comfortable with iphoto not deleting my photos. Thanks

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a

You could use smart folders for organization. For instance, use the keyword "vacation" on your vacation photos. Then a smart album based on that keyword, and then every time you keyword a photo "vacation" it will automatically be put in that album. No need to merge events if done that way.

You could also use a folder called "Vacations" and then smart albums for
    "2008", "New York City", etc. Very organized!