Automatically open a specific set of files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pixel.nm, Feb 1, 2011.

1. pixel.nm macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a question, not sure if it can be solved using Automator or Terminal or something else.

Basically, I would like to have a pre-specified set of documents (quicken and excel documents) to all open at once when I.... run an action or type a command or push a button or whatever.... instead of me having to find all the documents every time and open them individually.

It will always be the same files that I want to open. If all the windows could be positioned on the screen the same way every time that would be great, but probably asking too much :)

Any thoughts/solutions would be welcome, thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can create aliases (shortcuts in Windows parlance) to any files you want. You can put a group of such aliases in a folder, anywhere you like.

3. pixel.nm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's a great solution. Also, I figured out that I can run an Automator action that allows me to pre-specify all the files I want it to open, then open them using the default applications. It goes:

>Get Specified Finder Items
    >Open Finder Items

Your solution is probably faster though, since you don't have to open Automator to get the process rolling!