Automatically set all folders to be "Read & Write"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nerdy Keith, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Nerdy Keith, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

Nerdy Keith macrumors member

Nerdy Keith

Hi guys,

I'm a creative multimedia student and I'm using my own MacBook to do some programming in college. Now sometimes when our lecturer is sharing folders with us, the permissions are restricted on my Mac and I have to right click on each folder and turn all the permissions to "Read & Write". But this is extremely time consuming. Is there a way to go into the settings of my Mac so that all folders automatically have no restrictions; as shown in the image.

[​IMG]

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Changing permissions without understanding the *NIX rules is an excellent way to wind up with an unbootable system. Don't change anything below your user directory.

3. dyt1983, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Are you talking about the folder your teacher is sharing with you or you are sharing with him?
    Either way only mess with the sharing settings in preferences and you won't do to much damage.
    You cannot really make anything unbootable by setting too many rw privilledges, it would just make a system insecure. Still stick to sharing settings if possible.

You can use chmod or chown to change such settings in terminal.
    Type "man chmod" for instructions but I would check out all options in sharing first because you still would need at least one command each time you deal with a new set of shared folders.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

One can also make a Service using Automator that contains the chmod command. This service then appears in the Finder's Services menu, or in its right-click contextual menu.

There are plenty of examples on the web. Example google search terms:
    chmod automator service