automatically sync usb flash drives with selected folders on macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jl9148, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jl9148 macrumors newbie

ive googled everywhere for this type of process; whether it be an application or a bunch of scripts that would be able to do this, it didnt help me at all and/or i didnt understand it at all.

is there a simple application that will allow me to plug in my usb drive and it will seamlessly sync with the "documents" and "pictures" folders, for example. basically, i want it to act like im syncing my iphone with my computer: how it automatically updates every time i plug in my iphone. also, i want the program to update the old files with newer, updated files, whether it was updated on my computer, or from another computer saved on the usb drive. basically (again), i want my usb flash drive to be exactly verbatim with the personalized selected folders on my macbook pro (with the older files updated with the newly modified files).

2. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I would be pretty interested in this too. It would be really nice to plug in my USB drive and have it sync with all of my school work folders. Almost like a mini time machine drive?

3. jl9148 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. laerm macrumors newbie

i've been trying to figure this out as well. as far as i can tell, you need to use automator to run a terminal action using rsync. if i figure it out, i'll post my answers.

micah

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

You just need to write a daemon in Bash (or some other terminal language) to run in the background to handle that.

I'd learn how it works first.