Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
if you're gunna be gone at 9am on thurs, when 2.0 is supposed to come (according to techcrunch), would this work to update ipod to 2.0?

1. make new ical event at 10:00 am (just in case its not there at exactly 9am or a bit later)
2. make an alarm that goes off at 10:00 am
3. specify the alarm to open an automator application which tells itunes to update ipod.

would there be any problem with this?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
if you're gunna be gone at 9am on thurs, when 2.0 is supposed to come (according to techcrunch), would this work to update ipod to 2.0?

1. make new ical event at 10:00 am (just in case its not there at exactly 9am or a bit later)
3. specify the alarm to open an automator application which tells itunes to update ipod.

Are you remembering that you will, in fact, have to purchase this software rather than just downloading it like a "normal" update?

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Are you remembering that you will, in fact, have to purchase this software rather than just downloading it like a "normal" update?

yes i know this, but remember with 1.1.3, you downloaded the firmware, applied it to the ipod, then bought the 'activator'.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I personally don't think Apple is going to do that this time around. Remember, with the JSU Apple didn't mention it would cost anything for 1.1.3, only that it would cost a fee to have access to the apps. However, with this, they are specifically referring to the entire firmware itself as incurring a fee.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
sooo...........

is there an automator action for that??? lol ;)

EDIT: nevermind, I just remembered something! chances are people r gunna be waiting for firmware at 9 am, so at 12 pm when i come home, i can download with probably better download speeds!!!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

can you really not wait to do this when you get back home?:rolleyes:

its not like critical to have the moment it comes out lol

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
can you really not wait to do this when you get back home?:rolleyes:

its not like critical to have the moment it comes out lol

did you read the post LITERALLY right before yours? and btw, my download speed is 1.5mpbs which would take about 45 mins assuming the servers arent flooded at that time

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
did you read the post LITERALLY right before yours? and btw, my download speed is 1.5mpbs which would take about 45 mins assuming the servers arent flooded at that time

i did. i just find it amusing how you are concerned with getting it right away lol. not that its bad, just funny

i just know i wont be up waiting to dl it at 9am, heck may even wait a few days till i get around to it haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.