Automating an FTP Process

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hummer, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I need to take new files in a given folder and have them uploaded to a server at a specific time each night.

What would be the best program for doing this?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you're comfortable with the command line, I used to do something like this with cron and ncftp. I'm sure there are other more GUIfied ways to do this.

B

3. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Thank you. I'm actually not comfortable with command line processes. I'm looking for something more GUI friendly.

4. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

It could be done with an automator workflow, for scheduling you could attach the workflow to a calendar event.

The workflow would be something like Get Specified Server -> Connect to Server -> Get Specified Finder Items -> Copy Finder Items

5. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Thank you. How do I tell it to upload new files only and not ones that were previously uploaded?

6. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

You could add "Filter Finder Items" and set it to date last modified is in the last day.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

I use an FTP program called Fetch, and it sounds like "Mirror" might be what you are looking for. I've copied the relevant Help text below. I've bolded some text that I think you'll be most interested in. You could set the Mirror Document to open at a certain time each night. I'd be surprised if other FTP programs don't have something similar.

8. Revken macrumors newbie

I do something similar using Hazel & Transmit. Works for what I need it to do

Will work for new files added to the folder or whatever you define