Automating The Mac/AppleTV Media Center Workflow

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mac.jedi, May 14, 2009.

1. mac.jedi macrumors 6502

I've written a couple tutorials on automating DVD backup and encoding, but I'd like to start a discussion where we can share any tips & tricks that will allow us to stop spending so much time managing content and spend more time enjoying it.

After all, it's a computer. Let it do the work!

2. mac.jedi thread starter macrumors 6502

Let Hazel Manage Your Files

I would really encourage anyone who is dealing with media files to take a look at Hazel.

Hazel is an incredibly powerful and easy way to automate and organize your files. I told Hazel to watch my Mac Mini's Movies folder for the m4v files EyeTV creates. When the encode is finished, the file is moved over my network to a Drobo on a remote machine. Once the file is moved over, Hazel automatically cleans up my Movies folder, removing the original file. I also have Hazel watching for new files on the Drobo connected to my Mac Pro. Once found, it automatically adds them to the Mac Mini's iTunes Library and triggers a sync to my AppleTV's.

Hazel is about $20, but you can try Hazel for free for 15 or 30 days, I don't remember which, but it will save you a lot of aggravation in long run as opposed to dealing with AppleScript.

I don't really mean to turn this into an ad for Hazel, but I simply love it (and no I don't work for them). Merlin Mann, turned my on to it and now I use it to handle all my media organization, HandBrake encodes, iTivo downloads, internet downloads, everything. If a drive is not available or a folder is missing, Hazel will wait until it is available then continue to process, it's also got some special mojo that waits for a file to be inactive before processing … very cool. One of the coolest things is that you can use all the Spotlight metadata the OS supports to match files to process. With my HandBrake encodes, I have it watch for m4v files that have been tagged with a Genre. This way it won't add files to iTunes unless I've added the metadata, which to me means the file is ready to be added to my library. I used to do a lot of this automation with Applescript, but I could have saved a bunch time if I found this utility earlier.