automation of cleaner apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thedudester12, Sep 28, 2011.

1. thedudester12 macrumors newbie

i am very lazy when it comes to emptying trash, caches, cookies, ect. so i downlaoded the ccleaner beta because i remember back in my childhood when i was forced to use windows it was nice for those tasks because all i have to do is open the application and run it and it cleans everything i need at once instead of me opening Firefox, safari, and the trash to empty them individually, the fact it securely empty's them is nice as well.
    well, as stated earlier i am lazy and i was exploring some features on my friends windows laptop, namely macro's, and it got me thinking: is there a way i can set up ccleaner automatically to open and clean anytime i log in or out?

before you say it i have already combed the forums about how horrid and evil cleaners are and i strongly disagree. so if you disagree with me you can take your complaints to a different thread.

i just want to know how to automatically launch and run ccleaner i am not looking for an argument. help is appreciated, comments trying to change my mind aren't.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's just the point. This isn't Windows. Even if you don't agree that cleaner apps can be harmful, they're simply not necessary on Mac OS X. You don't have to "maintain" or "clean" Mac OS X like you did Windows. Do what you like with your Mac, but treating it like a Windows PC isn't going to help you get the most out of it. "But we've always done it this way!" isn't the best motto to follow in computing.

3. thedudester12 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should learn the definition of spam. I didn't spam. I stated facts. If you don't want someone gaining information on your system, it's ridiculously simple to set a password on your account, so they can't access any of your account data.

5. iphonenub macrumors regular

just make a password so that he has to log in as a guest, which means he can't access your data. You really shouldn't act like a 12 year old around people who are trying to help you.

6. thedudester12 thread starter macrumors newbie

i appreciate you trying to help.
    i also understand spam is the wrong term but i use it for lack of a better term; i didn't want information, i wanted instructions on how to perform the task i asked. so you, sir are clogging up this thread and making it hard for me to get the help i need.

allow me to explain this better: my brother was specially trained by a branch of the armed forces in electronic data retrieval. a simple password won't even slow him down (i tried that first). i should also state he doesn't get my info from my computer. he is in California and i am in Arizona.
    i apologize for seeming abrasive but when i specifically ask for one thing and someone wastes my time it upsets me because today is the only day off work i get and i pull 11 hour shifts with 6 hours in between. and i was very upset when i took time to check the forum from home repairs and found a dead end. it was very childish to get cross and i apologize

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Are you serious? If your brother was nearly good enough for you to need that type of measure, nothing you do will be able to stop him. If not, then you're just pulling our legs. Plus, nothing excuses being so rude to board members here. Get over yourself.

"Cleaner" apps on the Mac have been known to cause significant problems. It's highly recommended that you not use them unless absolutely necessary.

jW

8. munkery, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Onyx -> "Automation" tab -> select relevant tasks -> execute -> done.

Depending on what you want "cleaned," Automator could be used to make apps that run when you login or even run the Onyx Automation tab tasks at login. This depends on how much effort you want to commit to making this work.

But, these apps can cause issues. Verify disk functions in maintenance apps can cause issues with Time Machine. Information about various other issues caused by some maintenance apps are found in this forum as well. Make sure to check the possible side effects of any functions of these apps that you are going to perform for the first time.