Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
so, i have recently found that in many cases, when the AT&T network is oversaturated with users (eg, on my train commute) or i have weak signal, i can get much better performance by manually switching to what ATT calls 4G (which is really 3G)...it may theoretically be slower, but it works better in many cases.

is there any way to set up some automation that would detect that the LTE data is slow/congested and go to 4G?

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Not currently available, but it’s technically possible. You would have to
[1] Jailbreak
[2] write a tweak that runs a daemon and if the speed consistently falls beyond a certain threshold, tries switching to 4G (by toggling LTE under Cellular)

Reactions: max2

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
I used to have this issue on AT&T when we went to Sesame Place - like 5 yrs ago. Haven’t seen similar issues in a long time. T has lots of bandwidth these days.

But you are right, switching off LTE can help in these instances. It may also just be a notorious AT&T iPhone data stall.

Trying switching into airplane mode, wait 30 sec, then switch it off.

Which phone do you have? Does it have the current bands 14, LAA, CBRS.

Is this a subway/train type commuting related issue?

Reactions: ruslan120

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I used to have this issue on AT&T when we went to Sesame Place - like 5 yrs ago. Haven’t seen similar issues in a long time. T has lots of bandwidth these days.

But you are right, switching off LTE can help in these instances. It may also just be a notorious AT&T iPhone data stall.

Trying switching into airplane mode, wait 30 sec, then switch it off.

Which phone do you have? Does it have the current bands 14, LAA, CBRS.

Is this a subway/train type commuting related issue?

this is often on the train (above ground, Caltrain). i am using an iPhone XS. i haven't tried the airplane mode switch attempt, but i'll try it the next time around i find myself "stalled out."

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Yeah, trains can be tough. Large metal tube with limited RF portals (windows) for transmission and receipt. Often these windows are IR tinted with a metal foil that reflects RF.

And because of the movement of the train you're constantly being handed off from cell tower to cell tower -- with these handshakes having to occur between your handset and two more more towers, in different directions, at least one of which is partially blocked by the metal skin of the train.

Not sure how long your train ride is, but some things you could try:

1) Handsets with a Qualcomm chipset seem to handshake much faster/better/more reliably. The Intel chips in the newer iPhones (have gotten better) but are largely inferior in this regard

2) Try to sit on the side of the train which faces the majority of cell towers along your commute. Try to sit at the end of a car where you might get some RF from the windows at the end of the car (if the train is made that way)

3) Leave your phone on "4G" (aka 3G) the entire time your on the train if you can stand it.

4) Use a mobile hotspot / Mifi type device (these often have better antennas and/or external antenna ports) and stick it or the Antenna to the Window. Join your phone to it's Wifi.

5) Download shows/music/podcasts to enjoy before you get on the train

6) Read a book (-:

Also note, I have an XSM, and had AT&T for 20+ years across a wide variety of phones. One or two bars of AT&T on an XS series iPhone is almost always unusable (used to be okay on my 6s).

Wife and I recently switched to Verizon, and now my same phone works fine (albeit slowly) when I have only a single bar of Verizon service. No more data stalls on Verizon, ever. Verizon definitely does have network saturation in some locations at certain times of the day (they have much less spectrum than AT&T) and some people do experience significant slowdowns. But, Verizon seems to do a much better job of network management, IMHO. Just something to consider

Was this a recent change -- new phone, new commute, new carrier?

zachdog

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Yeah, trains can be tough. Large metal tube with limited RF portals (windows) for transmission and receipt. Often these windows are IR tinted with a metal foil that reflects RF.

And because of the movement of the train you're constantly being handed off from cell tower to cell tower -- with these handshakes having to occur between your handset and two more more towers, in different directions, at least one of which is partially blocked by the metal skin of the train.

I agree. I sometimes turn off LTE on my TMO iPhone 8 when riding Amtrak. I travel on the Southwest Chief a few times a year, and coverage is spotty in rural areas.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009

Was this a recent change -- new phone, new commute, new carrier?

good points. to answer your question...no...this has always been somewhat of an issue, but in the past month or so, things have gotten appreciably worse with my phone. i have tried getting nanosim replaced and having apple run diagnostics. the end verdict is that something is potentially amiss with the cellular radio although i still think it might be software (i have reset network settings, etc).

apple suggested replacing the phone out of warranty and i am waiting on my credit card's extended warranty department to see if they will accept my claim. if they do, i'll pursue that route.

yesterday, i left in on 4G for the whole commute and i had continual data access with no drops. wonder if i could do a location based setting of when i get on the train and disembark it.

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Which iPhone do you have? Sounds like an older model? While it's always possible that something went wrong with your phone, it's probably pretty unlikely. Did you upgrade iOS versions lately? Did the modem firmware change?

More likely, is that AT&T has been refarming and moving spectrum around and the bands you used to use are either no longer there (have been switched to 5G, etc.). Or servicing towers to install 5G. If you have an older model 7,8,X it doesn't get all of the bands AT&T is using now in every location. And if it has an Intel modem (some 8's, X's and all XS and 11) you could be double penalized.

Best of luck with your credit card warranty, I have those too, but have never tried to use. I generally just buy AppleCare. It's expensive, but Apple has always done right by me. You can pay them to replace your battery and maybe you'll get luck, 2 out of 5 times (in my experience) they end up breaking the phone and just replace it with a "new" refurbished one.

Despite having the Intel modem, the 11's (11, 11Pro, 11ProMax) seem to be working very well for most people. My wife and son have one. The new 12 (in the Fall) will finally have a Qualcomm modem again, but the jury is still out Apple may screw up the antenna array.

The new iPhone 9 comes out next month (assuming the Corona virus doesn't delay it too much). I expect this will have same Intel modem as the 11 series, though I could be wrong.

Not sure (unlikely) that you can create an Apple iOS shortcut to toggle LTE based on Geolocation. But if you can, that would be really cool.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Which iPhone do you have? Sounds like an older model? While it's always possible that something went wrong with your phone, it's probably pretty unlikely. Did you upgrade iOS versions lately? Did the modem firmware change?

i'm using an iPhone XS. my suspicion initially was that my problems began around the time that iOS13.3.1 was released (and i updated shortly thereafter), but after looking the actual release date of 13.3.1 and consulting my calendar, i've recently come to realize that my problems started rearing their head 1-2 weeks prior to upgrading my firmware.

i agree it seems unlikely something went wrong with my phone, something is amiss and it wasn't amiss before. it is my hope that my credit card company will come through so i can at least rule out the hardware issue and start with a semi-clean slate. (i've had much more timely verdicts from other extended warranty claims in the past, but this one is taking a very long time and its been frustrating)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.