Automator and shared folder help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZEEN0j, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Hello everyone

I have a problem I hope someone can solve. I'm running a automator folder script where when I download a certain file to my MacBooks downloads folder it automatically moves it to my iMacs downloads folder.

My problem is that after a while the folder is no longer found by automator (maybe after the iMac goes to sleep). If I open finder on my macbook I can find the folder even if my partner is signed in for example. And if I manually run the script after finding the folder again it works.

Should I add something to automator where it "wakes" or finds the folder again before is does the actual moving of the file? I've played around a little with 'connecting to server' etc but it hasn't solved my problem.

2. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

Is "Wake for Network Access" checked under System Preferences » Energy Saver on the iMac? That feature will normally wake the computer up if another machine is trying to access a shared folder.

3. ZEEN0j thread starter macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Yes that is checked. And I can find my iMac/folders manually in finder. It's just that automator doesn't.

4. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

Is your Automator script just using the /Volumes/sharename path to copy to the folder? Or is there an alias or something else it's using?

Also, if you run the below in Terminal, does it only output one instance of the connected share, or multiple?
    Code:
    ls /Volumes

5. ZEEN0j thread starter macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

The move to action in automator I choose 'other' and browse to the shared folder and select it. Running the terminal command I get one instance.