Automator and UNIX Binaries

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMouse, Feb 25, 2010.

1. iMouse macrumors regular

I'm planning to use my Mac Mini media center to replace an old Ventrilo/TeamSpeak server (Winblows). Since I do not plan to have keyboard/mouse access to the Mini, I need to find an easy way to launch the TeamSpeak and Vent server binaries on boot.

Since the media center is set to auto-login and run an Automator workflow that mounts 3 AFP volumes and opens Plex, I would like to add upon my script to launch TeamSpeak and Ventrilo server. However, this becomes problematic when I add a Shell Script action. The script keeps running because it is looking for Terminal to complete its action and quit so it can move on to the next process. If I terminate the script, it kills the Ventrilo Server application.

How should I write my Automator workflow? Should I be calling an AppleScript instead? What about possibly creating two Automator Shell Script workflows and calling them both with the main Automator workflow?

To all the Automator / Shell Scripting / AppleScripting gurus out there, I sure could use (and would greatly appreciate) your help and guidance. :D

2. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

Why don't you create separate scripts for each application you wish to launch and then add them to your login items in the accounts preferences pane?