Automator for iPhoto - import from camera, add to slideshow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rcgoodfellow, Sep 2, 2009.

1. rcgoodfellow macrumors newbie

I have a very odd request, but I would like to implement it at my brother's wedding in 2 days (last minute, I know - I'm sorry). I am looking for some way that anyone can walk up to the computer, plug in their digital camera, and be able to select photos to download onto the computer, then automatically add those photos to an album in iPhoto, and start the slideshow off that album.

I have something set up now, but I don't believe it will work that well, because it currently downloads everything from the camera, adds all of their photos to iPhoto, then asks them what photos they want to add to the slideshow. I really want to avoid having to download all of people's cameras to my computer, as I am sure not everyone will have clean SD cards in their cameras with just photos from the day.

I greatly appreciate any insight you have to offer, and thanks very much in advance!!!!

Cheers
    Ryan

2. Olivier L. macrumors member

I had a quick look in Automator, but indeed the only action for Image Capture is to download all images.

Maybe another way to explore would be to make sure Image Capture starts when a camera is connected, and that would let people select the images they want.
    These images should then be imported always on the same folder.
    Then you could create an automator script that would detect the presence of new files and would start importing them in iPhoto and update the slideshow.
    So, in summary, maybe you could think of a solution using separate scripts.

When I have some time, I will try to search further...