Automator Freezing!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spbrhs07, Mar 2, 2012.

  1. spbrhs07 macrumors newbie

    spbrhs07

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2012
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    #1
    I've been a mac user for years now and recently discovered Automator. I found this to be such an amazing tool built right into Leopard and decided to get creative. All I want it to do is set the volume, open a web page, and hide Safari. I would then use this Automator app to create an alarm in iCal. I don't think it can get any more simple than that. When I create the workflow and test it, it works perfectly. I test it 100 times with no problems. But when I save it as an application and try to launch it, it will work maybe once or twice, but after that it freezes! I'm getting really frustrated and feeling really stupid about this when it should be so simple!! I've attached a pic of my workflow. Any thoughts? Advice? Help?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. davids8477 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #2
    I've had a similar issue - do not why, but I fixed it by adding a couple of pauses between commands - kinda let things catch up.
    Purely trial and error on my part.
     
  3. spbrhs07 thread starter macrumors newbie

    spbrhs07

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2012
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    #3
    Thank you!

    Thank you so much! I put a 2 sec pause at the beginning and then a 1 sec pause between steps. It now runs exactly how I want it to! In the process, however, I did discover another very interesting problem... After running the application once, the "Hide" function in Safari becomes disabled. "Hide" can then be re-enabled by completely quitting Safari and then relaunching it. But after a few minutes of education on Apple Script, that problem was also solved by creating a short script to hide ONLY Safari rather than hiding all applications.
     

    Attached Files:

  4. davids8477 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #4
    Glad it worked out for you.
     
  5. Dorv macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #5
    I'm having the same problem.

    I've got three iCal events scheduled for 2:00, 2:15, and 2:30 each night, that are supposed to download a file, do some conversions, and save to a Dropbox folder.

    Running things manually, they operate just fine.

    Scheduling them in iCal, however, the procedure doesn't function. An event shows up in Activity Monitor, but no output.
     

Share This Page