Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
I want to set my bittorrent program to lauch at night and close in the morning automatically so I'm not hogging my family's bandwidth all day. Automator has a command to launch an application but there is no command to close it!

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this?

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
I want to set my bittorrent program to lauch at night and close in the morning automatically so I'm not hogging my family's bandwidth all day. Automator has a command to launch an application but there is no command to close it!

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this?

To close an app ...insert the "Run Applescript" automator action ....delete all of the "on run" "return input" stuff ..it isn't needed. Make the action one simple line...

Tell application "theTorrentAppName" to quit

...replacing theTorrentAppName with the name of your torrent application

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
isnt it quite common now for torrent applications to allow you to set it up so it only downloads at a certain time of the day?

couldnt there be complications with just quitting the application outright?

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
The torrent program i like doesn't have scheduling built in, and i always stop it by just quitting the program. it doesn't harm anything.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
okay, so now i have a workflow that will close the bittorrent program and re-open it. How can I set them to do those functions at certain times of day?

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
okay, so now i have a workflow that will close the bittorrent program and re-open it. How can I set them to do those functions at certain times of day?
iCal ...Save the workflow as an application and then set an alarm in iCal to "Open FIle" ...then choose that app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.