Automator Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eranthius, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Eranthius macrumors newbie

Hi guys! Thankfully I have never had to use this forum before, but I'm pretty sure I stumped apple support today. Here's my problem.

When I want to create a pdf, I click print > .pdf > save as PDF. Everything works fine.

Here's the problem though... when I click print > .pdf > Mail PDF... I get the following popup error. "The action "new Mail Message" could not be loaded because it could not be located. Try reinstalling the action."

Im pretty sure these are issues related to Automator, but through my hours of trolling the web, I havn't found anyplace to download automator actions.

Is there a way to restore automator actions and/or filters?

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll owe you one!

Big E

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What version of Mac OS X are you running? 10.4.11, 10.5.8, or 10.6.x?

The action in question is located, at least on 10.6.x, here:
    /Library/PDF Services/Mail PDF.workflow

If that file is missing, you'll get that error message.

3. Eranthius thread starter macrumors newbie

Running 10.6.5 here.

Yep, I have four files in that folder:
    Mail PDF.workflow
    Save As PDF-X.workflow
    Save PDF to iPhoto.workflow
    Save PDF to Web Receipts Folder.pdfworkflow

Problem is, none of those actions apparently work as I get similar errors on each action. Is there a way that whatever inside my Mac is making the pdf isn't looking in the right place?

And is an action the same as a workflow?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's more likely that the action is corrupted. In answer to your second question, yes - two terms for the same thing.

5. Eranthius thread starter macrumors newbie

So if the action is corrupted, where can I find the original action files? I'm pretty sure it comes standard in any Mac OS install. But how can I get just those actions?

Also... applecare rocked, said it looks like the Mac is is looking at Adobe Pro for the action instead of Automator. SO. if that is the case, how can I change that? Or am I looking to do a archive reinstall?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm, I'm afraid I'm no expert with Adobe software. I actually avoid it like the plague. <.<

Hey, at least you found the cause of the problem! :)