Automator Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nic01scgt, Aug 13, 2009.

1. nic01scgt macrumors newbie

What I'm trying to do is use Automator to automatically paste whatever I copy into an open text edit document. I'm copying text articles and have to copy from Safari then switch back to my text doc and paste it every time. It would be a lot easier to have it automatically pasted into the doc just by copying it. Does anyone know how to create a workflow useful for me?

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

You can easily do it yourself, just spend like 30 minutes playing with Automator.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You'll have to run it each time you want to paste something. There is no "onPaste" action.

You might be able to do this with AppleScript, too.

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You're probably better off with AppleScript and something like Butler.

You'll also probably need to use System Events, which is where scripts often go to die.

Basically, you'll tell System Events to tell Safari to copy
    then activate your text editor
    tell System Events to tell our text editor to paste
    then activate Safari

This will give you a basic idea of how to use System Events. System Events is not terribly intuitive -- I hate using it, but I don't think you've got an alternative.

Once you've got your script, save it in the Safari Scripts folder (you may have to create it), and then install Butler, which will let you assign a keystroke (say, command-control-C).

With that, all you'll have to do is select your text, hit a keystroke, and you're in business.

mt