Automator Help

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by jegaggin, Aug 8, 2010.

1. jegaggin macrumors newbie

Heres what i want to be done. i want automator to find a color on a page. When it finds this colour it will start a series of actions.
    how to do this on automator.
    thanks

2. Alfihar macrumors member

What kind of page, a html webpage?
    Also when you say looking for a colour, is the colour going to be a background colour, in a picture, font colour etc..?
    How specific is the colour that needs to be matched, does it just need to match exactly or will it need to match a range of colours?

3. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Sorry to say, but I am pretty sure this is not possible with Automator.

4. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I know you can run shell scripts from AppleScript, and Applescript seems to be the foundation of Automator (at least you can use applescripts). As such I can think of ways to use curl to grab the text of a webpage, then various other tools to look for the hex for a color name or its name, then pass a return value back up to AppleScript, then back to Automator. I'd do it all in shell, or a CLI app, but if other parts of an Automator workflow already exist, i guess leveraging that might make sense.

If Automator is the only tool one knows, this might be very difficult, though. It may be possible via AppleScript only to ask safari for a page's source, and do it all via AS, but I wouldn't know how to begin down that route.

-Lee

5. jegaggin thread starter macrumors newbie

6. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

It only seems hard because you haven't done it before. Be more concrete. What color on what element of what page? When you find that condition to be true, what do you want to do?

-Lee