Automator: How to access menu bar?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by viciousvegetabl, Sep 23, 2010.

1. viciousvegetabl macrumors newbie

Goal:
    -Import files one at a time into 3rd party application using Automator.

Challenge:
    -The application has no way to program a key command for edit > insert > file (that I could find)

Failed tries with Automator:

Recorded a "watch me do" sequence using the mouse. Sometimes it works and sometimes it glitches badly; the cursor moves very slowly in places I never recorded and the script runs for several minutes until I press the restart button. I believe that nothing changes on the machine between attempts - very peculiar.

Recorded a "watch me do" sequence using 'control' + 'function' + 'f2' to highlight the apple in the menu bar at the top of the screen then navigated to edit > insert > file using the arrow keys. Unfortunately it doesn't work when run. In the workflow,
    "'control' + 'function' + 'f2'" is shown as
    "'control' + '(a symbol I don't know - see attached screenshot line 1 of the workflow)'"
    The arrow keys pressed are then not recognized at all. (Line 2 in the workflow is from pressing return.)

A seemingly simple task is really perplexing me. I'm sure there's a simple solution though. Suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Use apple script it should be easier. There is a script editor in your apps folder and lots of information on apples website.

Cheers