Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
California
Hey guys,

I have zero experience with Automator, but I was wondering if it could unzip and then delete .zip files I've downloaded off the internet. I do a lot of data transferring (pictures, music, etc.) that's always comes in .zip or .rar, and I end up deleting the compressed file anyway. How would I go about getting Automator to do this for me? Also, does it do it automatically or require doing something with Automator still? Also, if you have any other solutions I'm overlooking, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks for any help.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
How are you downloading the files? Safari automatically unzips and deletes by default.

It does? Mine doesn't do that! I just downloaded a few zip files and I still had to do it all manually.

Edit note: I'm running Lion, fwiw.

Yup, doesn't "auto" do for me either. What it does do, however, is download the and automatically open them with The Unarchiver (as I have set it that way). This, in turn, does not delete the original zip file though.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm, now I need to find a zip file and test it to make sure that I'm not going crazy :eek:

Edit: Nope, not going crazy. I'm running 5.1 on 10.6.8 and I have "Open safe files after downloading" turned on.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
California
Hmm, now I need to find a zip file and test it to make sure that I'm not going crazy :eek:

Edit: Nope, not going crazy. I'm running 5.1 on 10.6.8 and I have "Open safe files after downloading" turned on.

OK, well I unchecked that box (it was already checked), restarted Safari, checked it, restarted, and it worked, and it worked. Thanks! .... BUT only for zip files. I tried it on .rar, and I guess it doesn't do it for that format. :(

hdready

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
I have worked out an easy way that is free & easy to implement. "The Unarchiver" has an option to delete archives after unarchiving, with Automator you can simply create a folder action that opens rar, zip & other file types you like in "The Unarchiver".

Check out my SnapGuide here on how to do it:
http://snapguide.com/guides/extract-delete-ziprar-files-with-mac-automator

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.